Jobs | 09.07.18
Now Hiring: Human Resources Assistant
Deadline for applications: September 28, 2018
Data & Society Research Institute is seeking a dynamic and energetic Human Resources Assistant to provide support to the Human Resources Manager.
About the Human Resources Assistant
The Human Resource Assistant (HRA) is a behind-the-scenes collaborator and colleague, whose main job responsibilities are focused on assisting the HR Manager with accomplishing HR-related tasks. The HRA is involved with most programs and services that relate to the human resources function. Their work is primarily administrative in nature, and is a front-line role in recruiting, hiring, and training new employees. You will often work independently on projects, and must be able to work under time-pressure on occasion. The role customarily and regularly requires discretion and excellent judgment.
The HRA role is a full-time, non-exempt position, and reports directly to the HR Manager.
The ideal candidate comes to Data & Society with an entrepreneurial outlook and has experience with growing organizations, ideally academic or research based. They are excited to work both independently and collaboratively, and contribute to the growth of Data & Society.
Maintaining and supporting of employee relationships and records:
- Responding to employee questions
- Processing incoming mail
- Creating and distributing documents and correspondence
- Providing customer service to organization employees and contractors
Serving as the primary point of contact with TriNet and other benefits administrators:
- Assisting in maintaining the TriNet system by updating and entering data
- Providing support with payroll processing by:
- Processing payroll, which includes ensuring vacation and sick time are tracked in the system
- Answering payroll questions
- Facilitating resolutions to any payroll changes and/or errors
Providing general administrative support:
- Setting appointments and arranging meetings, including maintaining the HR Manager’s calendar
- Preparing and compiling reports and spreadsheets
Providing coordination and administrative support with the recruitment/new hire process by:
- Participating and coordinating in recruitment efforts
- Posting job ads and organizing resumes and job applications
- Scheduling job interviews and assisting in interview process
- Ensuring background and reference checks are completed
- Preparing new employee files
- Overseeing the completion of compensation and benefit documentation
- Assisting with orienting new employees to the organization
- Assisting employees with the benefit enrollment process
Supporting the maintenance of HR records by:
- Maintaining current HR files and databases
- Updating and maintaining employee benefits, employment status, and similar records
- Maintaining records related to grievances, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions
- Performing file audits to ensure that all required employee documentation is collected and maintained
- Performing payroll and benefits audits and recommending any correction action
The ideal candidate possesses the following characteristics:
- Ability to communicate clearly, both written and orally, as to communicate with employees, members of the HR and management team, and in group presentations and meetings
- Adept at problem-solving, including being able to identify issues and resolve programs in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively read and interpret information, present numerical data in a resourceful manner, and skillfully gather and analyze information
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities as to use time efficiently
- Organized, accurate, thorough, and able to monitor work for quality
- Dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and must be able to improve performance through management feedback
- BA degree or equivalent required
- At least 5 years’ experience in an administrative capacity; human resources strongly preferred
- Experience with Mac based computer systems
- Experience with Google Apps, and the ability to quickly learn and adapt to new applications
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage logistics, scheduling, data, and records management
- Demonstrated customer service communications skills with an ability to manage inquiries and people with enthusiasm, helpfulness, responsiveness
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Emotional maturity
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
- A team player with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with others on tasks and responsibilities
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and eagerness to learn new things, engage in work and solve problems
- This position is headquartered at the Data & Society office in NYC. The role allows for some telecommuting, at the discretion of the HR Manager.
- Annual salary is commensurate on experience, and you will be offered a generous benefits package and paid time off.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor visas.
Salary : $55K – $60K
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through September 28, 2018:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, how you learned about this opportunity, your background in managing teams and projects in the past, and why you would be a good fit for this position.
- Your resume/CV
- Please include the name, affiliation, and contact information for two professional references
About Data & Society
Data & Society focuses on the social and cultural issues arising from data centric technological development. We seek to inform and develop frames for discussion of these complex issues both through our own research and through supporting the expansion of a nascent field of actors concerned about these topics. We want to be a resource, a catalyst, and a convener as new sectors recognize the complexity of the issues and the need for tradeoffs when they increase their reliance on data as a tool for management and decision-making.
We see the field as comprised of researchers, journalists, policymakers, technologists, industry leaders and workers, funders, advocates, and civil society actors. We are committed to helping this field engage substantively, and with an evidence base, in debates over implications arising from the increasing reliance on data at scale to automated decision-making across a range of sectors.
The work and well-being of Data & Society is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.