Jobs | 09.25.18
Now Hiring: Executive Assistant to the Executive Director
Deadline for applications: October 31, 2018
Data & Society Research Institute is seeking a dynamic and energetic Executive Assistant to provide day-to-day administrative and project management support to the Executive Director of a growing organization focused on research and engagement.
About the Executive Assistant
The Executive Assistant (EA) will provide executive support in a one-on-one working relationship and provide ad hoc support to the organization’s leadership team. The role’s responsibilities include both daily administrative tasks and management of longer-term projects.
The EA will be the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Executive Director. The Executive Assistant is also the liaison to the board of directors and management team; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts; and oversees special projects. The EA must be creative and enjoy working within an entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven, and community oriented. They will be expected to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, and possess strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. They will often work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
The EA role is a full-time, exempt position, and reports directly to the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate comes to Data & Society with an entrepreneurial outlook and has experience with growing organizations, ideally academic or research based. They are excited to work both independently and collaboratively, and contribute to the growth of Data & Society.
Board Support and Liaison
- Serve as the ED’s administrative liaison to Data & Society’s board of directors, managing board meeting preparation and assisting board members as needed;
- Attend board meetings with ED to provide onsite support and prepare meeting minutes on behalf of the ED;
- Support ED in maintaining regular board communications in periods between board meetings;
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members.
- Participate as an adjunct member of senior teams by scheduling and attending meetings, preparing documentation and overseeing knowledge management, and ensuring follow-up by ED and senior leadership;
- Assist in coordinating and delivering on organizational town hall meetings, ED-led discussions, and other all-staff communications;
- Assist in ensuring flow of communication between ED and organization;
- Facilitate cross-divisional coordination of travel and outreach plans.
Communications, Development, and Outreach
- Respond to requests for materials regarding the ED and the organization in general;
- Support ED in managing all development-related activities, from communications to drafting proposals and maintaining and building new relationships;
- Work closely with the Network Engagement Lead to document and track new relationships and opportunities for collaboration;
- Support ED in external communications management and planning, working closely with Communications team.
- Manage ED’s schedule, calendar, and travel;
- Filter email, replying as needed;
- Support meeting preparation;
- Organize and maintain files and records, especially of her contacts and network;
- Plan and schedule meetings;
- Prepare and edit correspondence, reports, and presentations;
- Represent the ED by welcoming visitors, reviewing correspondence, arranging dinners and other social functions, answering questions and meeting requests directed to the President and Founder;
- Conserve the ED’s time and positively represent her internally and externally;
- Provide liaison between the President, key community members, and staff;
- Organize and maintain electronic and hard copy filing systems for executive functions such as legal and board files.
- Complete projects and special assignments by establishing objectives, determining priorities, managing time, gaining cooperation of others, monitoring progress, problem-solving and making adjustments to plans;
- Improve quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes and implementing changes.
- BA/BS Degree preferred;
- 7-10+ years of professional experience required, preferably in administrative roles supporting senior executives;
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising;
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience with social media platforms is a plus.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail;
- Experience with project management and delivery when working across multiple teams;
- Emotional maturity, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners, and donors;
- High level of written and verbal communication skills;
- The ability to be a highly resourceful team-player, and is extremely effective at working independently;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate a high level of support capacity and response;
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Exemplary planning and time management skills;
- Experience with complex travel and meeting logistics.
- This position is headquartered at the D&S office in NYC. The role allows for some telecommuting, at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- Annual salary is commensurate on experience, and you will be offered a generous benefits package and paid time off.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor visas.
Salary : $75K – $85K, Commensurate with experience
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through October 31, 2018:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, how you learned about this opportunity, your background in managing teams and projects in the past, and why you would be a good fit for this position.
- Your resume/CV.
- Please include the name, affiliation, and contact information for two professional references.
About Data & Society
Data & Society focuses on the social and cultural issues arising from data centric technological development. We seek to inform and develop frames for discussion of these complex issues both through our own research and through supporting the expansion of a nascent field of actors concerned about these topics. We want to be a resource, a catalyst, and a convener as new sectors recognize the complexity of the issues and the need for tradeoffs when they increase their reliance on data as a tool for management and decision-making.
We see the field as comprised of researchers, journalists, policymakers, technologists, industry leaders and workers, funders, advocates, and civil society actors. We are committed to helping this field engage substantively, and with an evidence base, in debates over implications arising from the increasing reliance on data at scale to automated decision-making across a range of sectors.
The work and well-being of Data & Society is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.