Jobs | 02.27.19
Now Hiring: Editor
Deadline for applications: March 13, 2019
This fellowship position is available only through the Mellon/ACLS Public Fellows program, an initiative administered by the American Council of Learned Societies. Please do not contact the host institution (Data & Society) to inquire about this position.
ACLS is supporting a recent PhD in the humanities or humanistic social sciences to work with Data & Society for 2 years as an Editor. The Editor will work with our Research and Communications teams to develop a range of editorial outputs based on original research and aimed at nonspecialist audiences. This role will directly support the organization’s mission of advancing public understanding of the social and cultural implications of data-centric and automated technologies.
The Editor will provide primary editorial support for a subset of our broad topical research areas—among them media manipulation and disinformation, the future of work, intelligence and autonomy, and fairness in precision medicine—to ensure that research balances academic rigor with legibility and accessibility. The Editor will directly support researchers by providing substantive developmental feedback on early drafts, as well as style and copyediting on more polished drafts. The Editor will coordinate their teams’ peer review process—in which researchers solicit feedback from external experts in their field. Finally, the Editor will maintain and develop internal materials on the publication process: style guides, pipeline schedules, a researcher handbook.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Position Data & Society’s research to achieve greater impact in multiple sectors: government, industry, civil society, and media;
- Oversee one or more Data & Society initiative outputs, such as the Media Manipulation Initiative’s portfolio of five to eight original research publications per calendar year;
- Ensure Data & Society’s research outputs are written in a legible and accessible way, with a specific audience in mind;
- Work with leadership in the Communications and Research teams to define and scope editorial categories and guidelines (e.g., white papers, academic articles, blog posts, policy briefs, longform and short-form popular articles, etc.);
- Ensure rigorous editorial review of our research through a variety of mechanisms, from one-to-one consultation and direct editorial feedback to facilitating regular and ad-hoc peer review processes; and
- Maintain editorial handbook for all Data & Society authors and contributors, formalizing expectations and processes.
- PhD in the humanities or humanistic social sciences;
- Excellent, flexible writing and editorial abilities;
- Excellent research and critical analysis skills;
- Familiarity with the norms and culture of academic research, including peer review, research ethics, and research methodologies, especially as they relate to the humanistic social sciences;
- Experience or interest in translating academic publications for specialist audiences;
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably and respectfully across teams;
- Comfort with light project management and interdepartmental communication; and
- Attention to detail and deadlines.
- Familiarity with the tech sector.
- Click here for information on the Mellon/ACLS Public Fellows Program
- All applications must be submitted through the ACLS online application system
- Application deadline: March 13, 2019, 9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time