Announcements |Jobs | 01.22.19
(Closed) Now Hiring: Human Resources Assistant
This job posting has now closed.
About the Human Resources Assistant
The Human Resource Assistant (HRA) is a behind-the-scenes collaborator and colleague. The HRA will work closely with the HR Manager on programs and services and providing front-line support in the recruitment, hiring, and training of new employees. You will often work independently on projects and must be able to work under occasional time constraints. The work is primarily administrative and requires discretion and excellent judgment.
The HRA role is a full-time, non-exempt position, and reports directly to the HR Manager.
The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial outlook and is eager to work both independently and collaboratively to contribute to the growth of Data & Society. Experience with growing organizations, ideally academic or research-based, is a plus.
- Respond to personnel inquiries and requests;
- Process incoming mail;
- Create and distribute documents and correspondence;
- Provide customer service to organization employees and contractors.
Benefits and Administration:
- Update and enter employee data into the HR portal;
- Provide support with payroll processing by:
- Processing payroll, ensuring vacation and sick time is tracked in the system;
- Respond to payroll inquiries;
- Facilitate resolutions to any payroll changes and/or errors.
- Oversee the entire recruitment process for new positions, from the point of new hire request through candidate placement, including:
- Serve as the point of contact for hiring managers, applicants, and candidates;
- Respond to internal and external inquiries;
- Post open positions to internal and external outlets;
- Review candidate applications;
- Conduct screenings and scheduling interviews;
- Conduct reference checks;
- Follow up with candidates.
- Correspond with new hires; collect all new hire information and paperwork;
- Conduct I-9 verification;
- Coordinate orientation schedule with all necessary parties;
- Conduct HR orientation meetings;
- Follow-up with new hires 30 days post-hire.
Personnel Records Maintenance:
- Maintain and update current HR files and databases;
- Prepare new employee files;
- Maintain records related to grievances, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions.
- Support the HR Manager with task and project management, tracking, and follow-up;
- Schedule meetings and maintain the HR Manager’s calendar;
- Prepare and compile reports and spreadsheets;
- Other ad-hoc tasks, as needed.
- Service focused
- Integrity and accountability
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Proactive problem-solving
- Planning and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Organized and detail oriented
- Team Player
- BA degree or equivalent preferred;
- At least 5 years’ experience in an administrative capacity; human resources strongly preferred;
- Experience with Mac-based computer systems;
- Experience with Google Apps, and the ability to quickly learn and adapt to new applications;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage logistics, scheduling, data and records management;
- Demonstrated customer service communications skills with an ability to manage inquiries and people with enthusiasm, helpfulness, responsiveness;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability;
- Emotional maturity;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response;
- A team player with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with others on tasks and responsibilities;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and eagerness to learn new things, engage in work, and solve problems.
• This position is headquartered at the Data & Society office in NYC. The role allows for some telecommuting, at the discretion of the HR Manager.
• Annual salary is commensurate on experience, and you will be offered a generous benefits package and paid time off.
• You must be eligible to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor visas.
Salary: $55K – $60K
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected] (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled):
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, how you learned about this opportunity, your background in managing teams and projects in the past, and why you would be a good fit for this position.
- Your resume/CV.
- Please include the name, affiliation, and contact information for two professional references.
About Data & Society
Data & Society focuses on social and cultural issues arising from data-centric technological development. We seek to inform and develop frames for discussion of these complex issues both through our own research and through supporting the expansion of a nascent field of actors concerned about these topics. We want to be a resource, a catalyst, and a convener as new sectors recognize the complexity of the issues and the need for tradeoffs when they increase their reliance on data as a tool for management and decision-making.
We see the field as comprised of researchers, journalists, policymakers, technologists, industry leaders and workers, funders, advocates, and civil society actors. We are committed to helping this field engage substantively, and with an evidence base, in debates over implications arising from the increasing reliance on data at scale to automated decision-making across a range of sectors.
The work and well-being of Data & Society are strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.